On 12/26/2015 08:09 PM, John Thornton wrote:
> I found this on amazon
> http://www.amazon.com/UT-211-Port-powered-Mini-size-PhotoElectric-Isolator/dp/B00GI9GS58/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451156759&sr=8-3&keywords=serial+isolator

That is "port-powered", which may or may not work in your case. It
depends on which pins it uses to get its own power. I suggest an
externally powered version.

> Not sure how I might isolate the VFD from the chassis at this moment.
> Well I could machine some delrin standoffs... I have a machine shop.

No problem. If you ensure that the chassis connection is firm and
electrically sound, then you just ommit the earth wire (my comment in
the drawing).

The volume and interconnections in the chassis are often good enough to
work as is.

You must make sure that all joints in the chassis are electrically
connected. That is why you often see that (short) earth-wire from one
part connecting the next part.

> I will need the control transformer to get power for the monitor or just
> plug the monitor into the wall outlet and power the PC with 240v?

The monitor is on the computer side of the isolation barrier, so you
want to have it connected to the 240V where the computer gets its power.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)