On Saturday 22 December 2018 18:06:21 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 12/22/2018 04:18 PM, Kenneth Lerman wrote:
> > I suspect that it will be very lacking in rigidity.
>
> Yes, I think you might be right.  55 Kg machine weight.  The
> round rails ARE fully-supported, but the slider bearings are
> pretty short.  Looks like a decent spindle.  But, it sure is
> no Bridgeport.
> It is sold as a router/engraver.  You won't be able to drill
> any holes larger than .1" maybe with that
> spindle.  Is it using Vee-rollers on an aluminum extrusion
> for the Y ways?
>
> Jon

Not ack the description Jon, regular ball bearing sliders on chrome
plated rods. And I just got the confirmation on the collets 14$ and
change for 15 so they may be a bit sloppy. But there no limit on the
hole size as I drill holes with this SUB, slow, but works.

sub drills holes for db retainer screws, 4 x usage)
o130 SUB
G40
F15 (feed rate)
(arrives here at center of hole, change this to take a passed argument
for radius)
G0 Z#<_ZUP> ( clear work)
G0 X[#2 - 0.3] Y[#3 - 0.3] (move away for G42 blend in)
G42 D15 X[#1 + #2] y#3
G0 Z0
g4p.1
M3
G3 F#4 I-#1 J-0.000 Z#<_ZDN> P9
f15
G0 Z#<_ZUP> (back to clear)
G40
M5

o130 ENDSUB

If it can't handle that at 2x the revs the old one can do, or 5 grand, 84
hertz, its really a piece of crap. But I do like to throw as big a chip
as I can because that will control the heat at the tool. Higher revs,
and a higher feed rate ought to work just fine with the bit up to its
gonads in cutting oil. Keeping the cut surface sealed in oil knocks the
heat back to just cutting friction because if its sealed, no oxygen gets
to the alu to burnt a new coat of oxide on the alu long before the next
cutting edge comes by. Thats 95% of the heat when cutting alu dry.