On Sunday 21 April 2019 08:39:28 Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:

> Thank you guys again for your support!
>
> Well, I'm now taking a look at the ServoBelt datasheets and it looks
> more than promising.
>
> I guess I can make a belt reduction from the servo to the little
> sprocket to gain torque. That was my original plan with the rack and
> pinion but this seems to be much cheaper and easier.
>
> So basicly what they do is use to pieces of belt one slightly longer
> than the other (to acommodate the sprocket and tensioners) and they
> are engaged with each other and well tensioned at the ends. Is that
> right? So the sprocket spins and makes the joint travel along the
> axis.
>
> From what I've seen on their datasheet, the heavy system can handle up
> to 500 Lbs of linear force so that's like 2200 N. I'm more than okey
> with that.
>
> I'm worried about the streching of the belts under acceleration, do
> you think I should use a special kind of timing belt? Like kevlar
> belts to avoid stretching under accelerations from 0 speed or under
> changes of direction?

kevlar belts are a given. Virtually zero stretch under tension in time
periods of decades. Thats why we use phillystran (kevlar) ropes to
steady 2000' television towers. We check those for tension by measuring
the sag with a zeroed riflescope on the bottom to see where that zero is
on a tower leg and record it when the tower is erected. If
that "intercept" point moves in a decade, its probably because the
hammerhead, a 30 to 60 cubic yards bar of concrete buried crossways 30
to 50 feet down that the rope is attached to for an anchor has shifted.
And that generally takes an earthquake to move.