On Sunday 23 August 2020 14:59:11 Chris Albertson wrote:

> You are pretty much confirming my opinion that you know more about
> these than the guy who designed the one you are trying to build.
>
> Some of my first projects were a box to house a PCB, A plastic foot to
> a stand mixer.  and a rear cap for an SLR lens.  And other things that
> don't matter if the tolerance is off by 0.5mm    Then you work up to
> more complex stuff.
>
> The key is to develop CAD skills or you are at the mercy of random
> people who post to Thingverse and the quality there is all over the
> map.
>
> The key to printing machine parts is to never depend on precision.
> I'll place a screw adjustment on a shaft to shaft distance and then I
> can adjust the tightness of the gears after assembly.   Precision
> holes are printed undersize then bored or reamed.    One way is to
> treat printed parts as if they were raw castings.
>
> I'm starting another project soon, it will be an open-source robot
> that is modular, lego-like with wheels about 200mm diameter.   We are
> designing this collaboratively with the idea that it by easy to print,
> even on low-end out of spec printers.   We'll use 8mm drill rod axels
> and skate bearings.
>
> Long terms is a four-leg robot that is sized large enough to do normal
> stairs and have an eye-level high enough off the floor to navigate a
> normal house.     Perhaps like a small dog.   The key is being
> buildable by amateurs with limited tools and experience.   The wheeled
> version goes first.  The legged version needs 12 reduction drives.
> You can see my interest in reading about your problems with this.

Yes, I got that from reading between the lines, Chris. :) But I just
destroyed two more flexgears quicker than I can make them, took about 3
hours running at 5 or 7 rpms out to break the last one and it had plenty
of hop room.  So while the white pla might feel a hair more flexible,
over the long haul it fatigue cracks just as fast as the black stuff. So
far I've got one that has run 24 hours, but it also has a degree of
backlash.  Thats not good enough for a Stellarium drive.

So after the one on the build plate now has self destructed, I think I'll
bag up all the bearings and go back to making a 100/1 worm drive work on
the BS-1 clone. Its been a learning experience, but I've also wasted at
least $1000+ and 2 months.  The TPU hasn't arrived, and its way too
flexible for this from what I've found on you-tube.  Wait for a
different design to show up. From what I've learned, the cup of the
flexgear could be doubled in depth aspect ratio. Or we need a plastic
with more flexability, and tpu isn't it.  ABS maybe, its pretty tough
stuff. And higher priced too. And I need a way to calibrate the extruder
on the micro-swiss hot end kit.  They recommend a starter setting of 130
steps/mm, and I am getting close at 320/mm.

 - Louis D. Brandeis