On Friday 21 August 2020 12:45:11 Chris Albertson wrote:

> You remind my of something I always do and it would help with you
> adhesion problem and allows parts to be removed with less effort.   I
> always place a fillet around the edge of the part.     So whatever
> surface is touching the build plate should have a fillet, even if it
> is only 0.5mm radius it helps to allow a putty knife to get under the
> part. You have to add this using the CAD software.   Yes, Cura can
> shrink the size of the first layer but it is not the same as a fillet
> and you may have to do both to get a nice round edge.

I sharpen my putty knife on a 12,000 grit rouge wheel, wet if I'm not too
lazy to carry it a gallon of water for the water dribbler. It gets under
a gnat w/o shaving a hole in his shoe soles. ;)

But last night, after installing the micro-swiss hot end and extruder
drive combo, their recommendation of an extruder drive of about 130
step/mm left it without near enough extrusion, and I was pumping it up
5% at a time with tune menu's flow setting, and that almost made it
work, but I was still getting dashes with a tail, not a steady line
laydown. The motion of the extruder drive seem quite excessive as it was
makeing a small part, but I needed to check my eyelids for leaks, so I
turned down the flow feed about 25% and took a nap.  When I came to, 2
hours later the part was following the head around and both were buried
in a golf ball sized gob of steel wool, only plastic. The bottom of the
hot block was encased in plastic, and the sock was expanded.  All
evidence pointed to plastic comeing down thru the nozzles threads!

I gave up and went back to bed,  This morning I rustle up a 7mm socket,
heat the extruder up to about 240 and removed the nozzle. Wrapped a
couple layers of plumbers teflon tape around the threads, started it
about half a turn and warmed the hot block back up to 240 and tightened
it 1/8 turn from stripped.  Noted the fan was stamped as a 24 volt.  So
now I know which fans to buy. Restored their recommended settings for
steps/mm, re-leveled the plate and I've been doing 1 or 2 layers at a
time, looking for the right feed and heat to make it stick, and looking
at spider webs blowning in the wind until just now, its laid down a brim
that was stuck when I got up to do something about my coffee cup whose
bottom was turning into the Sahara, and to check for incoming mail.
Checking just now, its up to a step over a mm up, the brim looks pretty
gossamer, but the higher stuff doesn't look like its starving, just on a
diet. Might have a usable part. Later, its looking like a good part
about 1/2 done.

It only took a 5 minute run to break the flexgear I'd made out of white
PLA with the old hotend, and the next one I made about .1% smaller, had
enough elephants foot I'll never make it work.

And the tpu still hasn't appeared. Shoulda been here on the 17th.
Story of life in rural WV, hurry up so you can wait longer. :(

Thanks Chris.

 - Louis D. Brandeis