On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:35:29 GMT "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

>       Carsten wrote:
>
> > First.
> >
> > I need to offer some big apologies. I have been pretty bad at being
>
>       Well, I'll give you my own thoughts on this.
>
>       These new "developments" in E may well be exciting new
> opportunities and whatnot, but for some e-developers at least,
> there are long-standing historical issues with this project.
>
>       What you call your 'lack of leadership', some saw rather
> differently. Indeed, some saw it as a good approach, a benevolent-
> dictator kind of approach.
>       Maybe they're right, and that is a 'good' way to develop
> something like a wm plus its supporting libs.. but it's not likely
> to scale well much beyond that - eg. to scale to something like
> a serious development platform (unless perhaps you envision the
> wm+modules as a kind of limited platform itself).
>
>       On several ocassions, some developers here have brought up
> some of the things you seem to be addressing now - essentially, to
> have the project run as a true 'community' project. But, they were
> either ignored, brushed-off, or even treated with some hostility.
> Busy or not, you've never expressed any interest or support for
> seeing this project become a true community one.

i have done just he opposite - i have encouraged people to DO THEIR OWN THING.
most of the time people come and ask me or someone else to do something for
them. when you have limited time and resources you say no. when people pester
you often enough you get narky. you have maybe 1-2 hrs a day. you eat them up
already on just email. you get no code done. you are already unhappy. you don't
need more pressure. i have encouraged e to be SPLIT UP - if someone wants to do
a web browser - DO IT. dont com asking for it and asking for design advice,
asking for this that and the other. just DO it. make it your own.

>       Why the sudden change of heart? Because you have a new
> employer and can now be the "leader" you say you haven't had the
> chance to be?

i now have more time. regardless of tyring to get people to just take things on
their own shoulders and do it - tonnes of things just end up back in my lap. i
have retracted what it is i do to a small subset of whats in EFL and CVS. i
ignore everything else and let others handle that.

but community does NOT mean everything goes through me. i am a single point of
failure. i want people to stand up and be leaders on their own - stand on their
own 2 feet and be counted.