Hi,

I hope I'm not intruding into this subject, but I just want to share some of my
experience and opinions on this subject.
I'm a bit in the same position as Raster but on the aMSN project, usually
everything goes by me as I'm the leader of the team, and I always try to
avoid getting in discutions like this one (I avoid saying "I decide" but try to
say "what do you think?"). and it is a very difficult
job/responsability.

Now I can agree with Jose, but I also disagree. Yes, getting the community more
involved is a good thing, but is it always easy? I think that having
a leader to make decisions is very important, otherwise, you will waste tons of
times trying to find a common ground between two people, and the
more people get involved, the worse it becomes.
Let me take the git/cvs example. CVS is good/bad whatever, I used it for a long
time, and I'm more than happy that I don't need to use it anymore
(apart from 'cvs update' on E). We moved to SVN a while ago and we're very
satisfied with it. I got some experience now with darcs and had a very
small peek at git, and I don't like it very much. It's good, but it's so
different, I don't see what's the gain when you're already used to
something that's working. Now that's my opinion on the matter. I would love to
see E get out of CVS, but I would rather vote for SVN than git, but
git would be fine too.
Now, take the whole lot of people developing on E, not everyone will agree that
moving to git is the right choice. When the debate is opened, it can
go on forever, literally, unless someone steps up and takes a decision.
Remember, the world has agreed on one thing : disagree with each other. No
matter what, there will always be someone unhappy.
I don't know you, so I can't tell, but I'm guessing you're pissed at Raster
because the decisions he makes are usually not the ones you want, so you
feel kind of opressed by his leadership. Understandable, and maybe if you were
to lead, things would have gone a different path, maybe a better
path, maybe worse, noone will ever know. But whatever the case, one fact
remains : someone HAS TO lead, someone HAS TO take decisions and people
will NOT always be happy.

Back to the aMSN project, we *often* get into that kind of situation, and then
I have to force a decision to shut people's mouths and close a debate
that was going on forever, we do waste a lot of time debating though. Usually
what we also do is a poll, everyone exposes their point of view,
yes/no/why trying to convince the other developers why they think solution X is
better than Y, then we vote by email. Finally, the most used
solution is "stop talking about it, we waste so much time talking about
something and we never do anything at the end, so just go for it, code it,
and prove
+to me that you are right *through your
code/the end result*"

So here's the thing, communication is the key, think about the community.. get
it more involved, someone wants to make evas do 3D and have a 3D
desktop like beryl/compiz, that's what the community says.. well, should it be
done ? how will it impact on the release deadline we're trying to
set, will it break stuff, how much time will it take, is it *necessary*? I'm
guessing Raster is trying to think of all possible stuff and see how it
fits into his own vision of E, if it doesn't, then it shouldn't become part of
E because it will handicap the whole thing. But also, what I like
about E is that it's modular, so you can pretty much do whatever you want and
put it as a module to extend the functionality of E. I think that the
very fact that E was designed with this modular purpose is what makes E
embracing the community. Think about it, I want something, and I use KDE
(I don't), it would be a mess to try to get the KDE people to add the feature I
want and provide an option to enable/disable it, etc.. with E, I
think that it doesn't have to go like this.

I chose the EFL exactly because of this, because on IRC, I kept reading
"patches accepted", because I fixed some stuff and my changes went into CVS
a few hours after I sent them. Because the other libs/toolkits have their
limitations, and I don't want my product to be stuf with those
limitations, while the EFL also has its limitations, I know that I will not be
stuck with them, I can change them. Example, GTK doesn't support a
semi-transparent background on a text widget.. if I choose GTK, I'm stuck with
that, and I don't even want to try to get the GTK team to change that
just for me. In EFL, I can't get embeded images in a text widget, I don't mind,
I can always fix it and remove that limitation (btw, that limitation
really sucks since it will cripple any IM program trying to use the EFL).

Anyways, all this to say that I think that this team is community-oriented, the
dynamics are good, and that whether you like it or not, a leader
always has to be there. Of course, there are always things that can/should be
improved, but I haven't been around here long enough to know about the
status of that in the E development team (which I'm not even part of), so I
can't judge or say whether Raster is doing a good job or not.

So that was my opinion and rambling, and sorry if I wasted your time by
misunderstanding this whole thing or saying obvious stuff.

KaKaRoTo