On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 07:18:26 GMT "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

>       Carsten wrote:
>
>       I'll keep this short, since I really don't want to prolong
> this sub-thread between us.

> > > Busy or not, you've never expressed any interest or support
> > > for seeing this project become a true community one.
> >
> > i have done just he opposite - i have encouraged people to
> > DO THEIR OWN THING. most of the time people come and ask me or
> >
> > i now have more time. regardless of tyring to get people to just
> > take things on their own shoulders and do it - tonnes of things
> > just end up back in my lap. i have retracted what it is i do to
> > a small subset of whats in EFL and CVS. i ignore everything else
> > and let others handle that.
> >
>       Ummm.
>
> > but community does NOT mean everything goes through me. i am a
> > single point of failure. i want people to stand up and be leaders
> > on their own - stand on their own 2 feet and be counted.
>
>       Exactly. And for that, you can't really have ONE person
> who has basically ALL decision making authority.
>
>       Some devs just recently brought up the issue of using git
> instead of cvs, and while there were varying points of view on it,
> the bottom line seemed to be that YOU don't want to move things
> to git - not that there was a concensus on that, or that people
> were not going to be responsible, or whatnot. It's that you don't
> want it.

there were other voices of dissent too. not just me. it looked like a split.
git just changes a lot about the way we work. it's a stupid idea to do it right
now anyway - if you read my comments i said "no way we are changing SCM before
e17 is out - or we just will sink more months into adjusting to a new one". i
asked about how git will address the cvs commits list and other issues. i even
said "once e17 is out i had planned a cleanup o the tree - and we can re-visit
the issue there". its an open issue and i have said that i think its bets to
happen LATER. i also said that i am dubious of the changes and their usefulness
- along with several other long-time e developers. so don't put this on my
shoulders just because i disagree.

>       Why would anyone even contemplate doing anything that you
> might not want?

because the world isn't all about everyone nicely agreeing to do anything you
like. you need to disagree and say no when you do disagree. i disagree. if
every time you disagree you simply lie and say "great idea - do it" everything
may as well stop. no one is expressing their opinion, just being a bunch of
"yes" men.

>       I have the feeling that you and I have two radically different
> notions of what a "community" means, and I guess we'll just have to
> leave it at that.

community can work on hat they want. if they wish to impose THEIR desired
changes on EVERYONE - those who wrote the code to star, or have been working
for a long time or keep working - you need to all agree - and really agree, not
just pretend to agree for the sake of "harmony".

as i said - this is NOT the right time to go change SCM's. unless you want to
postpone things for more months. the time is after we release e17 and friends.
i believe gustavo already agreed this probably is a good idea (on irc).

so what you want is me to simply say "yes yes - do whatever you want"
irrespective of the fact that michael disagrees, nathan disagrees, brian
disagrees, dan disagrees - all of them disagreed long before i said anything.
are these people NOT members of the community? does their voice NOT count just
because i also agree with them?

this is a debate. i still see nothing that says we absolutely must drop
everything and use git now because we will be so disadvantaged in getting e17
out the door unless we do that. all *I* see is how long other projects have
spent moving to git, and going with the tried and tested "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" model - cvs ain't broke. it's not our core "product" so its just
a tool to get stuff done. if ti works - it works. it may not be perfect, but it
works and has worked for a decade for us. shall we throw away a decade of
experience at the drop of a hat "just before release"? (don't read anything in
to that!!!!)?