On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 00:25:55 -0400 Christopher Michael <cpmicha...@comcast.net>
said:

> On 10/28/11 22:23, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:46:55 +0200 Cedric BAIL<cedric.b...@free.fr>  said:
> >
> > i'll post here as a summary. what k-s wants is to just release e17-as is
> > after fixing some efm bugs. who agrees with that? everything stays as-is.
> >
> Sorry, cannot say that I agree. While e17 may be Close to release, to
> put it 'out' now is premature imo. There are still a few things that
> need fixing and/or ironing out.
>
> > the reason xrandr is on the todo is that there are many complaints and
> > questions about how to get multi screen to work and we have no solution.
> >
> > the reason taskbar is there is because engage is compositing based
> > realistically and we have to work without, and we again have had enough
> > users complain and ask for a way to switch tasks.
> >
> What about the taskbar module ? Anyone know it's current 'status' ? Is
> it usable for the average person ? Are there some issues remaining ? Are
> they simple bug fixes ?? I'd lean more toward including it (rather than
> engage) for the simple fact that taskbar does not 'require' compositing,
> and severs the purpose for the 'average joe'.

i actually read its code - it's mostly ok, but it has lurking bugs like not
reffing e border objects. i've already begun a new tb code in my e tree but i
also need to revamp its horizontal (and vertical) layout as well as add a
feature to gadcon to make it work sensibly and not make shelf expand beyond the
bounds of the screen. i've already started here and my only goal is to make a
workable taskbar that isnt going to fall over in cases and then move on.

> > the reason efm is on the list is its mostly working and usable as a simple
> > filemanager - that was its point. it needs some bugs fixed.
> >
> > the reason keymap config is there is for all those europeans (and a few
> > others) with odd keymaps and people have no clue how to configure this on a
> > command-line or in config files. the other todo items could get dropped,
> > though theme does need to be polished.
> >
> > this wasnt unilaterally decided by me. i believe in making a good attempt
> > at a quality release. gustavo just believes in dumping out whatever we have.
> This is where gustavo and I disagree. I'm w/ you raster...would rather
> have a quality product to release, rather than taking the
> short/quick/easy way out and just 'release what we have'. If we take the
> later route and just release things 'as they are', then we could end up
> getting a reputation of premature release (gnome3, unity, and other such
> junk)...which I (for one) would rather avoid. Better to take the extra
> time and get things right. Oh I know I will get the "He's just in
> raster's camp anyway" people/complaints...and I'm fine with that simply
> because it's the right way to go about it. Why release something that is
> incomplete/half-arsed ??

that's indeed my point - and we are so CLOSE to being "done". it's impatience
at the last leg of the race.