On 10/29/11 00:44, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 00:25:55 -0400 Christopher Michael<cpmicha...@comcast.net>
> said:
>
>> On 10/28/11 22:23, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>>> On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:46:55 +0200 Cedric BAIL<cedric.b...@free.fr>   said:
>>>
>>> i'll post here as a summary. what k-s wants is to just release e17-as is
>>> after fixing some efm bugs. who agrees with that? everything stays as-is.
>>>
>> Sorry, cannot say that I agree. While e17 may be Close to release, to
>> put it 'out' now is premature imo. There are still a few things that
>> need fixing and/or ironing out.
>>
>>> the reason xrandr is on the todo is that there are many complaints and
>>> questions about how to get multi screen to work and we have no solution.
>>>
>>> the reason taskbar is there is because engage is compositing based
>>> realistically and we have to work without, and we again have had enough
>>> users complain and ask for a way to switch tasks.
>>>
>> What about the taskbar module ? Anyone know it's current 'status' ? Is
>> it usable for the average person ? Are there some issues remaining ? Are
>> they simple bug fixes ?? I'd lean more toward including it (rather than
>> engage) for the simple fact that taskbar does not 'require' compositing,
>> and severs the purpose for the 'average joe'.
>
> i actually read its code - it's mostly ok, but it has lurking bugs like not
> reffing e border objects. i've already begun a new tb code in my e tree but i
> also need to revamp its horizontal (and vertical) layout as well as add a
> feature to gadcon to make it work sensibly and not make shelf expand beyond
> the
> bounds of the screen. i've already started here and my only goal is to make a
> workable taskbar that isnt going to fall over in cases and then move on.

Well mate, slap it into svn somewhere and we can all jump into the fun
;) (time permitting of course).

>>> the reason efm is on the list is its mostly working and usable as a simple
>>> filemanager - that was its point. it needs some bugs fixed.
>>>
>>> the reason keymap config is there is for all those europeans (and a few
>>> others) with odd keymaps and people have no clue how to configure this on a
>>> command-line or in config files. the other todo items could get dropped,
>>> though theme does need to be polished.
>>>
>>> this wasnt unilaterally decided by me. i believe in making a good attempt
>>> at a quality release. gustavo just believes in dumping out whatever we have.
>> This is where gustavo and I disagree. I'm w/ you raster...would rather
>> have a quality product to release, rather than taking the
>> short/quick/easy way out and just 'release what we have'. If we take the
>> later route and just release things 'as they are', then we could end up
>> getting a reputation of premature release (gnome3, unity, and other such
>> junk)...which I (for one) would rather avoid. Better to take the extra
>> time and get things right. Oh I know I will get the "He's just in
>> raster's camp anyway" people/complaints...and I'm fine with that simply
>> because it's the right way to go about it. Why release something that is
>> incomplete/half-arsed ??
>
> that's indeed my point - and we are so CLOSE to being "done". it's impatience
> at the last leg of the race.

Agreed. But to 'jump the gun' and release early (read: earlier than
ready) at this stage is just silly. Take a little more time, finish the
work properly and have a Good release !! rather than a half-arsed one.
Hell, we've hammered on this for more years than I care to
count...what's a few more months ?? ;)

dh