So... Socratus and Awori..... I guess I should ask the question
differently.... do photons have "mass"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon
Experimental checks on photon mass

The photon is currently understood to be strictly massless, but this is an
experimental question. If the photon is not a strictly massless particle,
it would not move at the exact speed of light in vacuum, *c*. Its speed
would be lower and depend on its frequency. Relativity would be unaffected
by this; the so-called speed of light, *c*, would then not be the actual
speed at which light moves, but a constant of nature which is the maximum
speed that any object could theoretically attain in
space-time.[21]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#cite_note-23>Thus, it
would still be the speed of space-time ripples (gravitational
waves <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_waves> and
gravitons<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton>),
but it would not be the speed of photons.

A massive photon would have other effects as well. Coulomb's
law<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb%27s_law>would be modified and the
electromagnetic field would have an extra
physical degree of freedom. These effects yield more sensitive experimental
probes of the photon mass than the frequency dependence of the speed of
light. If Coulomb's law is not exactly valid, then that would cause the
presence of an electric field
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_field>inside a hollow conductor when it
is subjected to an external electric
field. This thus allows one to
test<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_electromagnetism>Coulomb's law to
very high precision.
[22] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#cite_note-24> A null result of
such an experiment has set a limit of *m* ≲ 10−14
eV/c2.[23]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#cite_note-25>

Sharper upper limits have been obtained in experiments designed to detect
effects caused by the galactic vector
potential<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_potential>.
Although the galactic vector potential is very large because the galactic
magnetic
field <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field> exists on very long
length scales, only the magnetic field is observable if the photon is
massless. In case of a massive photon, the mass term [image:
\scriptstyle\frac{1}{2} m^2 A_{\mu}A^{\mu}] would affect the galactic
plasma. The fact that no such effects are seen implies an upper bound on
the photon mass of *m* < 3×10−27
eV/c2.[24]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#cite_note-26>The galactic
vector potential can also be probed directly by measuring the
torque exerted on a magnetized
ring.[25]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#cite_note-27>Such methods were
used to obtain the sharper upper limit of 10
−18eV/c2 (the equivalent of 1.07×10−27 atomic mass units) given by the
Particle Data
Group.[26]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#cite_note-amsler-28>

These sharp limits from the non-observation of the effects caused by the
galactic vector potential have been shown to be model
dependent.[27]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#cite_note-29>If the photon
mass is generated via the Higgs
mechanism <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_mechanism> then the upper
limit of *m*≲10−14 eV/c2 from the test of Coulomb's law is valid.

Photons inside superconductors<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductors>do
develop a nonzero effective
rest
mass<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_mass_%28solid-state_physics%29>;
as a result, electromagnetic forces become short-range inside
superconductors.[28] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#cite_note-30>
See also: Supernova/Acceleration
Probe<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova/Acceleration_Probe>