HI John,

I would like to see where you got that idea from.  I like reading original
material.  "Other ion paths" is not clear to me.

My understanding is different.

Batteries store chemical potential energy.  There is no electric field as
far as I know when you create a stable "new chemical" - in this case a
lithiated negative electrode.

The electrolyte isn't an insulator though you can measure the dielectric
strength and argue about when that is or isn't an insulator.  The
electrolyte is a place for lithium ions to reside between the electrodes by
way ol the lithium salt dissolved in it), but the separator (called such
because that is its purpose to put some distance between the electrodes and
reduces the chance of shorts) provides a volume for the electrolyte to
fill.  The ions in the electrolyte don't really flow.  It is more like the
desk toy of balls on strings and you pull an end and one away and let it
go, it strikes then the far ball pops out. Even though the gap is very
small and the ions can migrate, Jeff Dahn told me it takes a minute or so
for an ion to actually traverse the very thin electrolyte from one
electrode to the other.

When a cell has lost its capacity it is because the ions in the electrolyte
have been depleted by unhealthy chemical reactions at the positive
electrode.  There are fewer ionic "balls" in the electrolyte to knock ions
from one electrode to the other.

When the ions are intercalated in the negative electrode it is a new stable
chemical that is created. It is even more reactive with the electrolyte and
would tear it up if not for the SEI that forms.  The new chemical formed in
the positive electrode  - the de-lithiated lithium metal oxide (or
phosphate) - is also much more reactive than the discharged state
chemical.  No SEI forms here, and this is where the trouble starts for li
ion cells when the temperature and SOC are to high because of the highly
reactive nature of the chemical of the discharged positive electrode.

When you let an electron pass from the negative electrode to the positive
and ion de-intercalates and bangs an ion back into the Positive electrode.

Cells, when designed well, don't offer a ready path for any electrons that
aren't controlled by external circuitry.  This how cells for medical
implants can last for 10 or more years.

If some poorly designed cells do offer a way to discharge spontaneously,
that is a bad thing.  It is incorrect to indict all lithium cells with this
concept.

You can do all you like to a lead acid cell and it will lose its charge
internally.  It doesn't have an intercalation function. The chemicals
formed during charging naturally return to the discharged state over time
and with temperature.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 7:35 PM, John Lindsay via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> There are other ion paths from impurities in the electrodes and
> electrolyte that allow charge to flow in the other direction thus closing
> the circuit.
>
> John Lindsay
> johnslind...@mac.com
> +61403577711