I always try to produce good solid code, but it's not defeatist, it's
reality.  Basically every modern OS and its stack of applications and
drivers have millions of lines and tens of thousands of developers,
including a lot of legacy code.   Linux and MacOS are pretty good compared
to Windoze, but the fact remains, the leaks are there.   I have real-time
data from about 3000 Teslas (albeit most of them older), and the GUI shows
marked increases in resource usage and slowdowns after a month or so.
Usually not a problem for most Tesla owners because as Kevin points out,
when a software update comes down, there is a required reboot (usually at
night while you are sleeping).   However, a lot of owners of salvage cars
connected to my system eschew updates and prefer to stick with the same
solid release once they find one, so the "free reboot" doesn't happen.

It's no different on a desktop or smartphone either.  The more recent
devices have so much RAM and CPU that most people aren't going to notice a
large wastage.   I reboot my phone at least once a month.

How do YOU propose YOU find and eradicate memory leaks without source code
and root access on your device?  Even if you had all that, are you going to
spend thousands of man-hours debugging, compiling, optimizing and testing
to fix it?

The mantra of today's software:  SHIP IT.