On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 12:24 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015  Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> ​> ​
>> when I implore you to respond to my argument (which by the way uses *no
>> personal pronouns*) about your position you deliberately remove it from
>> your response or assume I'm parroting Bruno, or use some other rhetorical
>> trick that gets you out of answering it.
>>

> ​I honestly don't know what you're referring to, ​I've reread a few of
> your most recent posts but I'm still not sure. I must have missed it,
> please repeat the question.
>

> ​  John K Clark​

Let me make my argument as explicit as possible.

   1. You assume computationalism, or the idea that consciousness
   supervenes on the physical brain.
   2. Starting with a Many Worlds thought experiment (such as Schrodinger's
   Cat), there is one conscious subject supervening on one conscious brain
   prior to the duplication.
   3. After the duplication above, there are two physical brains which
   diverge as a consequence of observing the different outcomes of the
   experiment
   4. Therefore there are two consciousnesses, supervening on the two
   physical brains.
   5. You accept the idea that in a Many Worlds experiment like the above,
   the subject is duplicated, and prior to the experiment, the subject can
   sensibly assign probabilities to which outcome will be experienced
   post-duplication.
   6. Moving on to a duplication machine experiment, such as the one
   postulated in Bruno's step 3, there is one conscious subject supervening on
   one conscious brain prior to the duplication (identical to #2 above)
   7. After the duplication above, there are two physical brains which
   diverge as a consequence of observing the different outcomes of the
   experiment (identical to #3 above)
   8. Therefore there are two consciousnesses, supervening on the two
   physical brains. (identical to #4 above)
   9. Therefore, as in #5 above, prior to the experiment the subject can
   sensibly assign probabilities to which outcome will be experienced
   post-duplication.

There are no personal pronouns in play here, as none are needed. The only
thing that is needed to make Step 3 go through is a conscious experiencer
pre-duplication, and a split into two bodies post-duplication. It is
*not* important
whether anyone observing this experiment can make sense of the identity of
the bodies.

Terren