On 20 Jul 2016, at 23:44, John Clark wrote:

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com > wrote

There would be a discontinuity if you go into the teleporter in one city and get out in another, but there is also a discontinuity if you fall asleep on the train.

​Except at death conscious is always continuous,

With computationalism, it can be shown (in different ways) that conscious is continuous even at death, although it is here that we have to take the 1-3 distinction the most into account.

That is almost trivial. Your first person is associated with infinitely many computations, making conscious continues, and this with some intuitionistic semantic topology (as provided through the mathematical 1p: S4Grz1 and X1*)

There is an inflation of type of immortality, and some depends on what you identify yourself with.

Now, nobody can know for sure that computationalism is true, nor can know for sure its own substitution level. But everyone can bet, as you already did.

We don't need to believe in the theology of numbers, and we can consider it as a "toy theology", but it is interesting that it can be tested, and that what is weird and shocking in QM becomes trivial, and I guess as much shocking, when we assume explicitly the digital mechanist thesis. This happens at the intuitive level (step 7), and in arithmetic (from theoretical computer science).

I am aware this is step 7 level advanced computationalism (grin), and it requires a good understanding of the extensional and intensional Church-Turing-Post thesis (non grin), and some knowledge on how recursive functions and predicate can be represented in (very weak) arithmetical theories, like RA.

I insist anyone interested (having studied a bit the Mendelson book, or Boolos & Jeffrey) take a look on the three papers of Tarski, including the important --Mostowski, Robinson, Tarski paper, where RA is born and shown essentially undecidable (undecidable and so for *all* its consistent extensions and theories in which they can be interpreted).

People should understand well that the notion of computation is not just a well defined mathematical concept, but that it is also an arithmetical concept, indeed a Sigma_1 complete one, like, notably Gödel's beweisbar predicate []p, or [0]p, which is axiomatized by G (at the machine justifiable level) and G* (at the truth level).

although the outside world may not be.

With mind-digitalism (the mechanist hypothesis in the *cognitive* science) there are infinitely many universal numbers which compete for making you believe in an sensible and stable world. What does that give? We can only do the math.

Bruno

In your example it's the train that behaves discontinuously, instantaneously it jumps many miles ahead. ​

​ John K Clark​