On 7/21/2019 4:06 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 4:39:28 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 7/21/2019 12:30 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

    On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 1:18:16 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

        On 7/21/2019 1:09 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

            I didn't say there was.  I said */youse-self/* sees
            Moscow and Washington.  "Youse-self" is second person
            /plural/.

            Brent

        Ok but no need of youse, the question is clear without it,
        if you accept frequency interpretation of probability as you
        should also for MWI, it's clear and meaningful.

        But does it have a clear answer?

        The MWI has it's own problems with probability. It's
        straightforward if there are just two possibility and so the
        world splits into two (and we implicitly assume they are
        equi-probable).  But what if there are two possibilities and
        one is twice as likely as the other?  Does the world split
        into three, two of which are the same?  If two worlds are the
        same, can they really be two.  Aren't they just one?  And
        what if there are two possibilities, but one of them is very
        unlikely, say one-in-a-thousand chance.  Does the world then
        split into 1001 worlds?  And what if the probability of one
        event is 1/pi...so then we need infinitely many worlds.  But
        if there are infinitely many worlds then every event happens
        infinitely many times and there is no natural measure of
        probability.

        Brent

    Sean Carroll is the multiple-worlds dude. He would have an answer.

http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2014/06/30/why-the-many-worlds-formulation-of-quantum-mechanics-is-probably-correct/

<http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2014/06/30/why-the-many-worlds-formulation-of-quantum-mechanics-is-probably-correct/>

    "The potential for *multiple worlds* is always there in the
    quantum state, whether you like it or not. The next question
    would be, do multiple-world superpositions of the form written
    [above] ever actually come into being? And the answer again is:
    *yes, automatically*, without any additional assumptions."

    But then the question is how many worlds (the 1/pi problem) and
    how does probability come into it?  Do we have to just assign
    probabilities to branches (using the Born rule as an axiom instead
    of deriving it)?  And what about continuous processes like
    detecting the decay in Schroedinger's cat box?  Is a continuum of
    worlds produced corresponding to the different times the decay
    might occur?

    Brent

Tegmark could be on the mark by taking the position that infinities of all types should be removed from physics.

So there would be no "continuum of worlds".  The way I think about it (without getting into the formality of computable analysis) is to just think of the worlds being generated as in a quantum Monte Carlo program: There will be lots of worlds randomly made, but not an actual infinity of them.

That would just be equivalent to weighting them with the Born Rule. If you're going to have worlds generated per a MC program with weightings (probabilities) then why not just have world generated per the Born MC program.

Brent

(God plays Monte Carlo.)

@philipthrift

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/7277434f-bdf0-4423-807a-d46b9b46c1e8%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/7277434f-bdf0-4423-807a-d46b9b46c1e8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.