On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 9:55 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2019, at 08:11, Dan Sonik <danialso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> <snip>
>

>> Or, if you don’t die, the only way to avoid the indeterminacy is by
>> claiming that you will feel to be at both city at once, but that will need
>> some telepathy hardly compatible with the idea that the level of
>> substitution was correctly chosen.
>>
>> So, do you die or not in the step 3?
>>

> I don't know -- build a DDTR machine from all that great math and let's
> find out -- you go first.
>

> Let me rephrase the question:
>
> Assuming digital mechanism (YD + CT) do you die in the step 3?

According to the protocol, you are scanned, and then the original is cut.
The scanned data is then reconstituted; locally, or after a delay, or in
several different places.

The simplest interpretation of the "cut" phase is that the original
disappears, i.e., dies. If you take a slightly more sophisticated view of
personal identity, depending on a lot more the just memories of previous
states, but depending also on bodily continuity, then the question of
whether the original dies or not depends on the details of your theory of
personal identity. For example, in Nozik's "closest continuer" theory, if
the duplicate has an equivalent body and environment, then a single
continuer is the closest continuer of the original, and can be considered
the same person in some sense. Nozik's argument is that if there are two or
more continuers, and there is a tie in the relevant sense of "closeness",
then each continuer is a new person, and the original no longer exists
(dies).

So, as Dan points out, there is a lot more to this scenario than your
simplistic assumptions allow:  it is actually an empirical question as to
whether the "person" continues unaltered or not. So rather than armchair
philosophising, we should wait until the relevant brain scans are indeed
possible and we perform the experiment, before we pontificate absolutely on
what will or will not happen.

As for assuming digital mechanism (YD + CT), it is not a matter of assuming
this. It is a matter of whether the assumptions that you are building in
make sense or not. And that is an empirical matter. Does any of it comport
with our usual understandings of personal identity and other matters.

Bruce