Kirk,

Matt gives you good advice.

I strongly recommend using Partition Magic exclusively for all your
disk partitioning.

Set up the new disk as LBA in your BIOS, and make sure that your
choice of boot manager lets you boot over 8Gb (Boot Magic is OK and
comes with Partition Magic).  By using Boot Magic you won't need to
bother with  /boot partitions.  Make your Linux partitions hdb5, 6,
8, 9, with hdb7 your swap partition.  Depending upon your purpose, a
common home partition is often a good idea, but only for Linux
partitions sharing the same Linux distribution, and not for the first
time user.

--

Regards,

Ron. [AU] - sent by Linux.