> boot1
> boot2
> boot3
> boot4
> data1
> data2
> data3
> data4

Well, that was my idea.  With maybe a swap partition in the middle, or
better yet, on the other drive (for better performance).

As for knowing whether or not your computer can boot past 1024 cylinders,
I know of no better way than trial and error.

Ron made a good point: program versions may vary wildly between
distributions, so separate home directories may be better.  I'd do it,
just so that it's easier to work on a particular document without
rebooting, or remembering mount points.

Also, if you're not really doing much with Linux other than making a
preference, it's probably a good idea to not share any directories between
distributions.

Like I said earlier, you can use one LILO prompt to boot all 4.  It takes
a little extra work; you basically have to copy the "image=" sections from
the other three lilo.confs to one (we'll say the first
installation).  You'd also have to mount those /boot filesystems, so that
LILO can find the kernels when it installs itself.

Then, adjust the "root=" and image name, and you're done.
Envision a lilo.conf like so:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
prompt