On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 06:37:56PM -0800, Civileme wrote:

> > Did the lack of Mandrake detected the full amount of RAM and not
> > auto-detect a wheel mouse prevent you from completing an install?  I
> > find that a little difficult to believe.  What other problems did you
> > have during the install?  There must have been something a wee bit
> > more problematic than that.

> Gil is havinga problem with a diamond viper II and 7.1
>
> The unsupported card is being recognized just enough to search for a
> nonexistent driver and fail.

Ugh.  Yeah, 3.3.6 doesn't support that card at all, does it?

> Since 7.1 isn't up, he can't read the proceudre on the user manual for
> installing the framebuffer kernel, driver, etc.

Aren't the manuals available online at www.linux-mandrake.com?  I'm
sure I saw them there somehow... perhaps Gil can take a look at those
and see if he can solve the problem using that information.

> And the "perfect" operation in 7.0 is a 640x480 VGA16 implementation. for the
> viper II the Voodoo banshee he reported at 800x600 in 7.0

Yikes.

> He has two computers, and I am unclear whether the other one will install on
> 7.1 or not.  I beleive it is a Voodoo Banshee which I have not tried.  My
> Voodoo3 does not duplicate the Xserver not found behavior.  He has downloaded
> enough, md5summed it, and even bought from Cheapbytes to apparently supply his
> neighborhood with frisbees, but he maintains that 7.1 halts at configuring X
> and Xconfigurator or DrakX gives him the same errors.

Well, I've had X freeze the system during install when testing 4.0
with an ATI Rage 128 card.  But with 3.3.6 it works fine, but I guess
with that card he can't try 3.3.6 with it.

> I am unable to duplicate the error of failure to find XFree86 on ANY of the
> systems accessible to me, so I haven't been of much help.

Yeah, I can see frustration from that.  All of my cards here are ATI
cards... I've never used another card for SVGA graphics, so I know
absolutely nothing about Voodoo cards.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
Freezer Burn BBS:  telnet://bbs.freezer-burn.org . ICQ: 54924721

Current Linux uptime: 0 hours 55 minutes.