> > Entering Step "'Setup filesystems'
> > error resetting /mnt/etc/mtab at usr/bin/perl-install/fs.pm line 313
>
> Hmmm...  I think this is a problem with partition tables, like
> Civilme mentioned.  Did you try re-partitioning the drive with the
> installer?

I did not do this because I cannot even get that far. I also must use PM
because your partition utility will not give me the needed FAT32 partitions
for DOS and Windows. If PM 5 will not work then I am in big trouble. I also
use Boot Magic. That also must work, LILO cannot do all I need and not
nearly as nicely.
I may try to see if I can find a way to partition with the installer to see
what happened but I did redo the entire drive with PM and if that is the
problem WHY did it work PERFECTLY on 7.0 and continues to work perfectly on
7.0.

> > Is there ANY way to upgrade manually that is reasonable to do.
> I could boot
> > to version 7 and do it if it is a reasonable thing to do..
>
> There probably is, by manually upgrading each RPM and following
> dependencies.  This probably isn't your (or my) idea of good time,
> however.

NOOP that is all I could think of. :-)

> I hadn't see or replied to), left me with very little to go on.  I
> simply saw a "bash Mandrake" message and responded to it.

Not really intended that way.

> Just out of curiousity, but are you trying this with XFree86 4 or
> 3.3.6?  And, again, you have to remember that hardware like the
> intellimouse was designed for Windows and we have to figure out a way

Version 3.3.6.

> So you can use the mouse as a regular mouse, you just can't use the
> scrolling wheel?  When imwheel is running is when you have all the
> problems?

True.

> However, if you need to get to a shell prompt, just press "Alt-F1"
> and you will get a shell prompt.  You don't need to change the boot
> mode and reboot if all you want is the console.  I switch back and
> forth from X to the console all the time without rebooting my
> machine.

Thanks for that tip. All could find was the other sequence.
There should really be an option on the GUI for this.

> > > it would be nice to have it work straight out of the box, I agree.
> > > But is it really that difficult to tell Mandrake, during the install,

No, I have done that but it did not seem to work. Maybe it was my
imagination. It is very hard to tell what it thinks it has.

> I've never had the opportunity to look at AIX, but it certainly
> sounds like the documentation is better than what came with OS/2.
> For most of OS/2 you were more in the dark or had far more cryptic
> documentation than with Linux.  Looks like they must have done
> something right with AIX.

Yes they did. The sales of the RS 6000 servers are going through the roof.
They can't make enough of them here in Rochester.

> > > this hardware stuff, people have to reverse engineer drivers or write
> > > their own in order to use them which makes Linux's compatability with
> > > hardware sometimes tricky.  Yes, it's gotten much better than it used

And I guess that is the problem. I hope you can realize that I cannot be
expected to be happy when all of my nice hardware does not work or does not
work well.

Diamond monster sound card.
HP Scan Jet 5100C
Yamaha CD Writer
Intellimouse
Viper II video (I sewitced to the 3dfx Voodoo 3 and that wroks but no
accelerated in 7.0 )
HP 855C Desk Jet  (works but not ver well)

And it goes on. Until I get support for this not so esoteric hardware it is
gooing to be hard to liek Linux. Only the VIPER II could be caleed cutting
edge, and perhaps the Intellimouse. Nevertheless, I love my mouse and will
not long use what does not fully support it. You get used to teh wheel and
can't live without it.

> bar at the top.

> the top down
> > to the bottom, but it is sort t of frustrating and not well done.
>
> This is extremely odd.  Now, I gather you're using KDE, right?  I
> don't use KDE much myself but perhaps it's a permission issue?  Do

Certainly not a permission thing. It does the same thing as root.

> Well, I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.  I've never been much of
> a Windows users.. before Linux I used OS/2 exclusively.  But I do
> have a Win98 machine and am totally unimpressed with it.  It causes
> me more grief than the other 5 Linux Mandrake computers combined.  I
> hope we can resolve these issues for you so you don't have to resign
> yourself to WinSomething-or-Other.

 One problem is the hardware support, that is true. Perhaps even more sever
is the hidden cost of application replacement.
There are no appoications I knwo of to replace with anything close to the
saem fucntiona  lot fo my applications. If I give up on windows and switch
to Linux I lose the Hundresd of dollars I have spent. I also lose those
enteirylthat have no replacement. A very good thign to have would be a cross
reference list with as many widow apps as possible and the Linux replaement.
ThZAT woudl go a long way to help IF the things you need are there and IF
they are free, so much the better.

Here is my shor tlist of MUS THACE applications. I ahve looked for
replcaements and have not found anytgh to satisfy.

HAM RADIO
Truetty       Sound card RTTY and AMTOR
Digipan       Sound Card PSK31
Zakanaka      Sound Card PSK31
Hellschreiber Another digial mode for the sound card
Logic 5       A logging and radio control program
QRZ           CDROM callbook

Mapping and GPS use
Fugawi 3      Process digital maps and use with GPS as moving map software
G7towin       Up and download tracks and waypoints to my Garmin GPS 12/XL
Cartographer  Create digital maps for my Palm Pilot. Now can use it with GPS
as moving map.
Street Atlas  Street amps of the entire US

Office and Games
Usoft Office  The undisputed standard. Maybe not the technical best but it
has the market.
              I also have a big investment here to lose if I switch to
Wordperfect or others.
Fritz6        The best chess program in the world for the PC. So good it has
beaten the
              world champion at fast chess.
IE5.5         MUCH better than Netscape.
Outlook       The best mail application in my opinion.
Outlook Express The best news reader in my opinion.
Quicken and Money  Nothing even close in Linux that I know of.

Now I may ask too much but I need all of these things. LINUX therefore is
free and it is not. It is not because I lose all of those things and all of
the time to try to get it to work.