IMO usability is not a static concept.  To me it's a great usability and speed
feature that my hands never have to leave the alphanumeric part of the
keyboard.

The outstanding contribution of vi is that it needs virtually no per-machine
configuration.  It's plug and play on any keyboard and display.  That's why it
provides a great lowest common denominator editor for Unix systems.

I have used many powerful editors, including SlickEdit, CodeWright, Emacs,
etc..  I always gravitate to vi for smaller editing tasks because of its speed
and simplicity.  Once learned it is easily remembered, having only a few
keystroke patterns that combine to access a multitude of features.  Other
editors with distinct keystrokes assigned to every function fade from memory
much more quickly.

VIM is a great implementation of vi, with its syntax coloring, etc.  However I
will admit that the help system is a bit much to tolerate.

Just an opinion from an crusty old Unix geek.

Steve