Bill Hudspeth wrote:

> I agree with you 200%!
>
> I have wasted all kinds of time trying to work with "UNIX"
> tools that are outdated and clumsy, except for the geeks who
> thought they were cute. They aren't.

Vi will always be around, and Linux/Unix admins will always have to know how
to use it. Why? Because A) it comes with every flavour of Unix available; B)
it is *very* compact, so it will run even on an almost completely crippled
system.

If it bugs you, don't use it - there are plenty of other character-driven text
editors available.

> I have been writing useful 'C' programs for 20+ years (obviously not in
> UNIX/LINUX)

Obviously not.

> and have never seen such lack of concern for "software
> sability". - Yes, that's a real topic for commercial (bite my tongue)
> software developers.

Vi is a commercial product that has been around a lot longer than most
Microsoft products.

> I am trying to find out whether my users (PhD & MD professionals) would
> like Linux better than Windoz. I can definitely say, NOT TODAY! I too
> have wasted time and money, really wanting this to be a successful
> venture.  I am no M$ fan. However, I've never had to wander arounf in
> the dark so much using M$ products.

That's because MS products take all responsibility for learning away from the
user, leaving them high and dry when something doesn't work.

> I still (silly me) believe that Linux 'could be' a better system - but,
> not without a lot of effort directed toward usability.

Usability is an entirely subjective property. I find MS products highly
unusable.

I'm sorry you are having trouble, but getting frustrated doesn't help.

-Stephen-