civileme wrote:

> Sounds well-done.  I would be mostly concerned with the CDRW that doesn't
> want to be an IDE master.  There appears to be a problem with the 7.2 kernel
> with certain CDRW brands and streaing which is exacerbated by slave drives
> and sharing channel with regular CDs.  We intend to fix it soon... something
> never noticed on our Plextor drives here.

Well, it concerned me, too, especially since it's NOT slaved to anything
else. It is on a separate channel on the Promise card from the Maxtor
drive. Am I using the right terminology? I mean that there are two IDE
connectors on the Promise card (i.e. up to 4 drives). I have two drives on
it. The Maxtor is connected to one connector and the burner is connected
to the other.

> > I do have some more SCSI drives on order to populate a second RAID array
> > and am also likely to eventually replace the current burner with a SCSI
> > one, but heck, the more disk space the merrier; I'd like to keep the
> > Maxtor in there if possible just for the extra 30GB.
> >
> That should be fine--also your CDRW should work better with the data coming
> from a different controller.

Perhaps I will move the idea of a SCSI burner higher on my hardware
purchase priority list. Meanwhile, do we assume that the HDD crash was
coincidence? I've been a little paranoid about getting back to burning
even though I moved things around (the data from which the burn is being
derived will now be on the RAID array instead of the Maxtor). I guess I
will give it a shot. For now, I must go to C programming class before I am
late for the first day of this quarter. ;-)

Thanks for the info, civileme!

Holly