On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, civileme wrote:

> On Thursday 04 January 2001 20:44, you wrote:
> > Paul Stear wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > Something seriously changed from 7.1 to 7.2 and I have not had any
> > > solution to my problem.
> > > The install of 7.1 went without a hitch and all was well in the Mandrake
> > > world and I was very pleased with the distribution.  However, trying an
> > > upgrade caused problems, then a complete new install of 7.2 could not be
> > > achieved due to the install system stopping after the detection of hda.
> > > I have followed all advice from this list and on the Mandrake sight but
> > > to no avail.
> > > I am now running redhat 7.0 which at least installed OK and I have kde2
> > > running well.
> > >
> > > I still prefer the Mandrake system and would love to be able to install
> > > it again.  It will install if I remove my promise ultra66 card and hard
> > > disks. - Note - Mandrake 7.1 recognised this card and would allow me to
> > > use the disks.
> > > The redhat 7.0 system did install but didn't recognise the ultra66 card
> > > on installation but I was able to add the two extra hard disks after
> > > installation.  This is not ideal because because my hda disk is slower
> > > than my hde or hdf.

Of all distro's to choose, you choose RH 7.0????  I believe if you are
having problems now w/upgrades and problems.. you ain't seen nothing
yet.  If you are not going to be running Mandrake, at least run something
like SuSE as it wasn't built on a broken compiler.  You will have many
more hidden problems down the road.

This opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it.

;-)