On 2001.01.02 Larry Marshall wrote:

> Mandrake.  By version 7 of anything things like print services should
> be stable, period.  This is especially true if the features have been
> stable through the previous few versions and no increased facility is
> being provided by the change.

Well, don't agree with that. I don't remenber exactly what were the
printer related problems, but I suppose that nobody sends a mail to a
list to say 'hey, cups work'. There can be many people that probably
are printing using cups and don't matter about this list. CUPS
developers can test its package, beta testers can help, but one can not
get all the cases tested in such a big system.
I the masses don't burn CUPS, anybody will know if it works. Following
your ideas, you will be still printing ASCII or PostScript Level 1
(if it is not too much bleeding-edge for you...)

> Kinda takes the wind out of the sails of "Linux is more stable than
> Windows" doesn't it?  How do you answer these people when they say
> "But 7.2 is available in a store; can it really be that bad?"

And Linux is really much more stable that windows. All the problems I
see recently in this list come from that big thing called KDE, that
tries to emulate windoze not only in the look'n'feel but also in
the bugginess and size. So the problem is a buggy gui (well, the
problem is that the gui is what you see). I have seen much less
complaints on Gnome.

> I don't envy the job that companies like Mandrake have but they're
> making these decisions based on short term marketing, not in order to
> stabilize their products.

Do you mean shipping Win 3.1 ?? Death is a maximum stability state
(no entropy...).

> plunge.  In short, as long as distro people are driven by marketing
> (and what else would drive them?) they will be adders/changers, not
> subtracters/stabilizers that's a fundamental problem in my view.

I think that distro people have a very important role of 'choosers'
of what soft are going to include. No distro can be equal to another.
See Mdk and RH. Cousins that take very different ways. That is what
I like of Mdk. RH7 could have offered a brand new buggy compiler, but
XFree 4.01f was still a dream in RawHide when I donwloaded my new
4.0.2 in a working rpm from sunet.

--
J.A. Magallon                                         $> cd pub
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             $> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.2.19-pre3-aa3 #3 SMP Wed Dec 27 10:25:32 CET 2000 i686