Thanks for the info civileme.

If the problem is that the kernel has been patch to include udma100 and this
causes the problem I have been having, is their a fix????? I would love to
get Mandrake working again.
just for info I have the following configuration:-

ide0    udma33  IBM6.4GB        Master
                hda1    /
                hda2    swap
                hda3    /winbackup
ide1            DVD     /cdrom  Master
                CDRW    /cdrom1 Slave
ide2    udma66  Quantum KA9     cable select end of cable1of ultra66 controller
                hde1    C:      win98
                hde5    swap
                hde6    /backup
ide3    udma66  Quantum CR13    cable select middle of cable1of ultra66 controller
                hdf2    /oldhome
                hdf3    E:winbackup
                hdf5    F:windata
                hdf6    G:diskcopy
cdrom Master end connector of cable2 of ultra66 controller
scsi    IBM 2.2GB
                sda1    swap
                sda2    /home
Thanks for any input or advice