On Thursday 04 January 2001 20:44, you wrote:
> Paul Stear wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Something seriously changed from 7.1 to 7.2 and I have not had any
> > solution to my problem.
> > The install of 7.1 went without a hitch and all was well in the Mandrake
> > world and I was very pleased with the distribution.  However, trying an
> > upgrade caused problems, then a complete new install of 7.2 could not be
> > achieved due to the install system stopping after the detection of hda.
> > I have followed all advice from this list and on the Mandrake sight but
> > to no avail.
> > I am now running redhat 7.0 which at least installed OK and I have kde2
> > running well.
> >
> > I still prefer the Mandrake system and would love to be able to install
> > it again.  It will install if I remove my promise ultra66 card and hard
> > disks. - Note - Mandrake 7.1 recognised this card and would allow me to
> > use the disks.
> > The redhat 7.0 system did install but didn't recognise the ultra66 card
> > on installation but I was able to add the two extra hard disks after
> > installation.  This is not ideal because because my hda disk is slower
> > than my hde or hdf.
>
> This is the Promise Ultra 66 card? Hmmm... not going to be of much help to
> know this but I have this card and the 7.2 install recognized it fine. Is
> there any chance you have some type of interrupt conflict going on there?
>
> Holly

Nope.  We patch the kernel for ATA/66 and ATA/100 support.  As a result, some
out of spec disk drives have trouble with us and run fine on RH.  Or run fine
on 7.1 (patched for ATA/66) and have write errors on 7.2 (Patched for
ATA/100).  We will fail on recognizing one of two card controllers if the
user has that configuration (6 ide channels for up to 12 drives).  Don't
laugh; someone wrote to us with that very configuration.

Only 4 ide channels are probed on setup  -- other channels (up to a total of
6) can be recognized later by specific configuration but will not be
recognized on boot.  modprobe -c will show you why.  So we cannot install to
drive i, j, k, or l unless it is SCSI.

Civileme