I've found that LM7.1 to be far less troublesome than
7.2, especially during installation (7.2 always gives
me a blank screen/freezes during the X part of the
install).  Then again, I use gnome and enlightenment
--which are packaged better on 7.1 as well imho.
MandrakeUpdate works fine, after fine tuning the
package selection, I can compile things (like
apache/php) to my liking w/o errors.  I'm using the
supplied secure kernel, as well as fine tuning
security elsewhere.

Honestly, LM7.1 falls in the same category as the
respected "stable" RH6.2, except LM7.1 provides many
more features, easy of use, and customization than
RH6.2.   LM7.2 is much more like RH7 in that, out of
the box you're going to have a lot of work to do
before you reach a "stable" (and useable!) system.
--- Larry Marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > LM7.2. But, I think my point is still valid for a
> lot of people's
> > upgrades.
>
> No doubt about it Victor, I maintain a box for
> playing.  My comments
> were related to the difficulties of getting version
> 7+ of ANY
> operating system to do basic things without having
> to relearn the
> entire operating system, read volumes on a dozen
> websites and hope and
> pray that you can fix things with a bunch of
> patches.  The Linux world
> has bad-mouthed Microsoft for releasing buggy
> programs and that's
> certainly justified.  BUT, Microsoft has always come
> along quickly
> with updates and something like W'98 was followed
> quickly with minor
> revision releases.  Where's the "minor revision
> release" from ANY of
> the LINUX distro people?  It's not even in their
> vocabulary.  There
> are all sorts of things that could be stabilized in
> 7.2 and updated
> isos made available.  I dare say that the folks at
> Mandrake are
> running exactly such systems on a daily basis.  And
> yet there's no
> effort to actually do those updates other than
> through the update
> facility which seems to have problems of its own :-)
>

> I will give them this, the 7.2 updater is a
> bazillion miles ahead of
> the one that came with 7.1.  But since I can't even
> do an expert
> install that runs to completion it doesn't do me a
> lot of good.
>
> > I think stability and featurefulness needs a
> different approach.
>
> Yep...and that, I guess, is my basic point.  That
> approach is
> non-existent in the current Linux community once you
> get just a couple
> bytes above the kernel.
>
> > The legendary linux stability meant stability of
> the kernel. The stable
> > kernel. Not all the programs, desktops, and new
> programs from
>
> If that's true then "world domination" is
> meaningless.  Taking even a
> small bite out of the Windows world is unreasonable.
>  I would grant
> that the folks working close to the kernel are
> properly managing
> development, stability, etc.  But when I hand a
> system to a guy and he
> then starts asking me why version 0.1 of this or
> that utility doesn't
> work, it suggests to me that there's a problem of
> another sort with
> this development model.  Imagine how popular Windows
> would be if
> Microsoft bundled up half a dozen CDs of any and all
> of the small
> Visual Basic hacks that have been done and called it
> part of their
> package?  This is what the Linux community is trying
> [...]
=== message truncated ===