> While I understand this to be a desire of many who use the browsers in
> this manner, I don't understand "why" this is. The browser was never
> designed to do such a thing. Why would one want it to? Why not just kill

Mark...look at what Konquerer is doing and think about the question
you just asked.  Think about Mickeysoft's argument that the browser
needs to be part of the operating system and think about the question
you've just asked.  The short answer to your question is that the
division between what's local and what's being gotten from the web is
blurring.

I'm one of those 24/7 guys.  I receive email constantly.  I often
receive a radio feed through the web.  I use the web to check all
sorts of stuff in real time as part of my work.

> the browser now and then, dump the cache and restart the browser. Since
> linux memory management is already good enough to handle running

Putting these two things together seems illogical to me.  We all use
Linux because we don't have to reboot it all the time as we do the
alternative.  Why should we be happy killing applications and
restarting them any more than the entire operating system?  Extend
your logic to your print server.  Do you want to have to kill/restart
it twice a day?  What about X?  Would you be happy restarting that a
couple times a day?  To those of us who use the web a lot, these
things are no more extreme than what you're suggesting should be a
matter of course.

Cheers --- Larry