On Saturday 03 March 2001 11:26, you wrote:
> On Saturday 03 March 2001 11:58 am, Marc Siegel wrote:
> > > KDE 2.1 final binary RPMs for Mandrake 7.2 are now in the
> > > mandrake-devel/unsupported/KDE-2.1 directory on the mirrors.
> > > I wish I knew who to give credit to for this work ...
> > > I am glad they are in a subdirectory of their own; it makes
> > > updating so easy.
> >
> > How does this make updating easy? What program do you use to upgrade?
>
>    create a directory to d/l the rpms to, then paste the URL with
> *.rpms added into nt (Webdownloader) or your favorite other. eg,
> ftp://sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake-devel/unsupported/i586/kde-2.1
>/*.rpm When the d/l is complete, cd to that dir, su to root and 'rpm -Uvh *'

FYI,

I followed these instructions, but there is more.

1.  On my 7.2 system (installed development system from ISO images),  the
following dependencies are missing.

pciutils, ppp, apmd, autoconf, automake, enscript, gettext, libjpeg-devel, m4

I downloaded these from rpmfind and tried again.

2.  With all dependencies satisfied, there were several remaining conflicts
between 2.1 and 2.0 packages, so I had to use --force.

3.  after telinit 5, kde 2.1 came up ok.

4.  The panel is present, but most of the icons have the gearwheel (generic
icon) instead of the expected icon.

5. I've only tried konqueror and kmail at this point, but these seem to be ok.

--
Thanks,
Collins Richey