Larry Marshall wrote:

> > While I understand this to be a desire of many who use the browsers in
> > this manner, I don't understand "why" this is. The browser was never
> > designed to do such a thing. Why would one want it to? Why not just kill
>
> Mark...look at what Konquerer is doing and think about the question
> you just asked.  Think about Mickeysoft's argument that the browser
> needs to be part of the operating system and think about the question
> you've just asked.  The short answer to your question is that the
> division between what's local and what's being gotten from the web is
> blurring.
>
> I'm one of those 24/7 guys.  I receive email constantly.  I often
> receive a radio feed through the web.  I use the web to check all
> sorts of stuff in real time as part of my work.
>
> > the browser now and then, dump the cache and restart the browser. Since
> > linux memory management is already good enough to handle running
>
> Putting these two things together seems illogical to me.  We all use
> Linux because we don't have to reboot it all the time as we do the
> alternative.  Why should we be happy killing applications and
> restarting them any more than the entire operating system?  Extend
> your logic to your print server.  Do you want to have to kill/restart
> it twice a day?  What about X?  Would you be happy restarting that a
> couple times a day?  To those of us who use the web a lot, these
> things are no more extreme than what you're suggesting should be a
> matter of course.
>
> Cheers --- Larry

Larry,

I completely understand what you're saying, but unless the creators of
Netscape and those responsible for maintaining and changing it decide to
write it to do the things being suggested in this thread it's not going
to happen. It wasn't, at it's foundation, designed to do this. That's
what I was attempting to say. I can appreciate your situation, and I've
had Messenger to run flawlessly for better then 10 hours without a
problem. The browser, on the other hand, is a different story. That
critter needs to be flushed now and then and the more content pumped
through the more often this needs to happen.

It's been suggested that the C++/JAVA mix that makes up Netscape is part
of the problem. While JAVA offers great error checking this isn't being
done; The app leaks into memory like crazy creating lots of problems for
the OS and other applications. As it is now expecting "any" of the
current browsers on the market, both free and paid-for, to do what Linux
does isn't realistic.

Maybe what needs to happen to the browsers is what has made Linux the OS
that it is. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Netscape being written
completely in C/C++ and have NO "compiled at runtime" JAVA in the
program at all. Sure would speed things up a bit and might stop a lot of
the leaks too.
--
Mark

"If you don't share your concepts and ideals, they end up being
worthless,"
        "Sharing is what makes them powerful."