On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 17:49, Jason Guidry wrote:

> do the headers of the mail you are getting match any of the mail you are
> getting?  I'm suspicious of a BBS i posted to about sheetmusic available
>   on my website.  I think I'm gonna contact the guy in charge and
> compare IPs.  I realise that the person sending the email may not be
> aware, but I don't know who would have my address from Syracuse.

Not sure about the BBS being the source of your problems, Jason, but I
kinda doubt it. The headers on the infected mail I received didn't match
anything else I might be receiving at the time of delivery. After
looking at a few of these infected emails, about the only consistency I
could find was that the origin was the same ip address, each time with a
different name, such as "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" or
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]". The other constant was that the address it was
sending to (destination address) was usually a bogus address, sometime
not even the domain name was real.

The bottom line is, I think this is what Pierre is saying. you can
identify the originating ip address in the email headers but, in the
final analysis, this ip address may be spoofed, meaning that the ip
address may or may not be the offending machine.

Nope, you do not have to worry: this mail is not being sent by your
machine unless you might be using windoze with some version of MS
outlook..

As a matter of fact, I have never heard of or seen a email type virus,
such as W32/Klez.e@MM, on linux. Another reason to bring the uninitiated
into the fold, right LX?

Dr John
--