On Wednesday October 2 2002 10:06 am, J. Grant wrote:
> Have you all optimised your new drives so they dont run in 16bit
> mode?
>
> http://linux.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/272
>
> hdparm -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hdg works a treat on my drive.
>
> I found that if i messed with -X it made it go slower, the bios sets
> the disk up as UDMA 2 already. and that -c3 is the saver version of
> -c1

 info hdparm: "The  value  3  works  with  nearly  all 32-bit IDE
chipsets, but incurs slightly more overhead."     So unless you need 3,
or find it actually does improve HDD performance, use -c1.   Use
'hdparm -i /dev/hdx' to see what the drive is capable of, eg,
  UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6

   udma2 is awfully slow.  udma5 needs a ata/100 controller, udma6 needs
a /133.  In my UDMA example, it's an ata/133 drive on a /100 mobo.

> I'll probably create a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d then sym link it to
> the runlevels when i get time, but rc.local is fine for the moment.

   Take a look in /etc/sysconf/harddisks    You can specify hdparm
options there instead of rc*.  Doesn't work for CD drives tho, only
HDD's.