On Wednesday October 2 2002 02:21 pm, J. Grant wrote:

> >    Take a look in /etc/sysconf/harddisks    You can specify hdparm
> > options there instead of rc*.  Doesn't work for CD drives tho, only
> > HDD's.

> /etc/sysconf/harddisks
> It appears to be for all drives with no specific options for each
> one.

      Yes, sorry, I didn't consider that.  Tho I have seen a post on the
cooker list that suggests creating separate harddisk files for each
drive, eg, harddiskhdx. I haven't tried that. Don't need to. I have no
hdparm statements in any rc* files, yet my old windoze ata/66 drive is
set to udma4, and my linux ata/133 drive to udma5 on a ata/100 mobo.

> see below it does not give out the standards compliance mode
>
> # hdparm -i /dev/hde

>   Model=WDC WD800BB-00CAA1, FwRev=17.07W17, SerialNo=WD-WMA8E3405796

>   UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2

     This indicates it's udma2 capable, but without the asterisk next to
it, it appears not to be set to *udma2....

>   Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.04 seconds = 31.37 MB/sec

.... yet this result indicates it is set higher than udma2. Since it's a
ata100, 7200rpm drive, it should be at least udma5 capable. Tho the
hdparm -t result should be more like 36 to 40+ MB/sec.  So I dunno,
other than as others have mentioned in this thread, WD drives
reportedly do not comform to current standards