On Wednesday 02 October 2002 01:12 pm, Franki wrote:
> I just got an email from my wholesalers, that all IBM and Seagate drives
> are now one year warranty...
>
> So I will buy which ever drive sticks with the 3 year.. if its samsung,
> fujitsu or maxtor, I am happy to lose alittle performance in exchange for a
> 3 year warranty.
>

> rgds
>
> Frank

Frank:

Maxtor has also cut the warranty on some of their drives to one year
effective October 1. I believe that this only applies to their basic consumer
level drives (AKA cheapies) -- the kind that most of us buy. IIRC, some other
manufacturers are doing the same. (The old "monkey see, monkey do" theory of
pricing.)

As for Fujitsu, they've been getting some very bad publicity on The Register
of late. It seems that several of their models are experiencing very high
failure rates, way beyond what is considered normal, and a lot of users are
pissed (at least, that's what The Register claims).

I'd do some checking around before I signed any purchase orders.

-- cmg