Take a look through the archives of the Newbie and Expert lists. There are
plenty of messages detailing how bad WD drives are. In short: they don't follow
the ATA spec properly, they are missing some vital CRC circuitry and they don't
officially support GNU/Linux (only Windows and Solaris).

Seagate is probably the only decent HDD manufacturer today. Maxtor aren't bad
either, provided you get a drive with a 3-year (not 1-year) warranty.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        If the human brain were so simple we could understand it,
                we would be so simple that we couldn't.