"J. Grant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
(10/02/2002 13:43)

>Is there any infomation on drives/manufactors that work well with linux
>then? If WD are that bad I'm stuffed, i just bought a new drive from them.

To be more accurate ... you're stuffed, statistically speaking ;)

HDs will 'just work' with Linux, so performance, reliability and
noise are the criteria to look for. The general belief at the moment
is that Maxtor is the manufacturer to go for, although I've seen good
writeups of Samsung (a new entrant); certainly, I've been impressed
with other Samsung electronic goods.

There has been an interesting thread about HD noise in the past
couple of days on www.slashdot.org which will, doubtless, contain
worthwhile links. (No Web access at the moment so can't post /. URL).

Alastair