Alistair,

I read said /. article.

I get this from a brand new drive, i wonder what it will be like in a
few months.

Seems to just be during boot, so could just be that. I've seen this on
lots of drives in linux though.

fsck.ext3 -c /dev/hde found no badblocks on the drive

JG

$ dmesg|grep hde
     ide2: BM-DMA at 0xe800-0xe807, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
hde: WDC WD800BB-00CAA1, ATA DISK drive
hde: 156301488 sectors (80026 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=155061/16/63,
UDMA(100)

Journalled Block Device driver loaded
hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide2: reset: success
hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide2: reset: success
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds