On Mar 26, 2005, at 12:43 AM, Kenny H wrote:

> I thoroughly disagree with this statement though I have heard people
> say it for years now and have hear Maharishi imtimate it. However,
> when you sit up in front of people and wait until someone puts your
> deerskin down before you get seated. when everyone stands up when you
> come in the room, and waits for you to sit down and then sit down,
> when they hang on your every word and you have words to direct every
> aspect of a person's life, when you give people blessings to get
> married or advise against it, when you have men and women leading
> monkish lives and following your every advice, when you have a
> university in your own name and the basis of the universisty is
> development of consciousness, when people follow rigorous diets and
> follow what appear to be extreme suggestions for improving healtn and
> the many others things I have left out, it is pretty hard to claim
> non-Guruhood.

The nature of the Guru-Student relationship is more personal than any
of the above. And if we are talking of "purity of the Vedic tradition"
I doubt he would avoid the formal rite for this relationship (of
student and Guru) and the giving of a guru-mantra (a mantra which helps
you not only keep contact, but allows you to unite your consciousness
to the teachers) which is the vehicle for lineal transmission.

You are right, he does use many of the props and a lot of the pretense.

We're talking about McDonald's drive-thru style meditation here. It
ain't 'the real thing' despite 'millions being served'.