<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for that post Gary.  So often Atheism is presented
> arrogantly as "the only rational POV"...

Amen. :-) Although it probably doesn't need to
be said, when I used the term "Professional
Atheist" in a previous post, I was referring
to that handful of authors who have turned
atheism into a cottage industry and source
of talk show bookings lately, not to you or
others who -- like myself -- quietly just
have no need in their lives for the concept
of a God.

> ...but people drop out of believing in God for as many
> reasons as people change their religions.  It is a
> decision of heart and mind and can embrace a total
> person's capacities.  Atheism was not something I sought,
> quite the opposite.

Since we're "sharing stories" here, you've
made me think about mine, and made me realize
that I don't really have one. I *never*, in
my entire life, had any kind of intuitive
feeling for or allegiance to the notion of
a God. Even during my many years in the TM
movement, with its dependence on the Hindu
notions of gods and goddesses and personal
Gods. Whenever that language would come up,
I just looked at it as some kind of metaphor
and didn't give it any thought.

It wasn't until I encountered formal Buddhist
thought that I realized I'd found a spiritual
group that -- as you say -- embraced a notion
of Unity without having to "dress up" that
notion in the clothing of some kind of God.
So there really was no "breakthrough" or
"realization moment" for me, just a develop-
ing level of comfort with something I'd
assumed intuitively all my life.

> When I was first exposed to the option, I just laughed it
> off as an extreme position that intuitively felt wrong.

My feelings exactly, with a *lot* of extreme
positions. Although it's a bit of a stretch,
for a variety of reasons I've been exposed here
in Spain to a bunch of people who consider them-
selves "polyamorous." Their allegiance to sexual
non-allegiance and non-fidelity :-) seems to
permeate everything they do. They literally can't
go more than a couple of minutes upon meeting
someone new without announcing themselves as
"polyamorous."

My reaction to the concept of polyamory, as an
old hippie, is "Ho hum...so fucking what." My
reaction to those who have to wear their identi-
fication with their sexuality on their sleeve
and announce it to the world as "Who we are"
*also* inspires a sense of "Ho hum" in me, one
that I relate to those who similarly have to
announce their atheism as "Who we are."

Belief in a God is such a *tiny* part of who
and what anyone is that I really can't see why
anyone makes a big deal out of it. But different
strokes for different folks, I guess.

I suspect that the issue is about a lack of
understanding among the God-oriented spiritual
folks that there can be such a thing as NON-
God-oriented spiritual folks. So much of their
own spiritual lives is spent focusing on devo-
tion towards or alignment with (or, sadly, fear
of) God that they just can't imagine someone
living a "spiritual" life without those things
being an integral part of it.

Since those things were *never* a part of my
spiritual life, I never had any problems when
I ran into people of the atheist persuasion
who regarded their path as a spiritual one.
To me, "spiritual" has *never* connoted or
implied a belief in some kind of God, merely
a commitment to trying to live a better life,
whatever "better" means to the person trying
to achieve it.

<snip to>
> I remember the first night it all sunk in totally that
> no one was aware of my internal thoughts, I was completely
> alone.  For my whole life, I had always felt that there was
> a benevolent power in the universe, had many experiences of
> it, but that night I was set adrift, on my own. At first it
> was scary, but then it became very peaceful and centered.
> What replaced my lifelong attention on a higher power to
> help me in tough times became a faith in myself and in the
> power of life to fight obstacles.

Beautifully and powerfully said, Curtis. That's
it exactly. Even though I never had the transi-
tion from belief in God to non-belief in God
that you did, I identify with the sense of
peace and centered-ness you describe. It can
also be described as a sense of self sufficiency,
in a way that no believer in something *outside*
(or "greater than," in the sense that the self
is a subset of something greater) can really
express.

> I see the universe as a mystery and don't find scriptural
> explanations satisfactory anymore.  That doesn't mean
> they have no value to me, just that I don't view their
> POV to be authoritative.

Exactly. I can even find such points of view
beautiful and inspiring. I remember the day
that Edg found my admiration of a French film
called Que la lumiere soit (Let there be light)
puzzling. It didn't seem appropriate to him that
I -- a non-believer in God, after all -- would
enjoy a film all *about* God, or a peculiar
notion of God. But I just *dug* the movie, and
even its presentation of God. It was all about
topics that I live with and think about every
day, just not in the exact way that I live with
them and think about them.

I find the same thing with ecstatic visions of
the Catholic saints or Eastern bhakti poets.
*Their* focus may be that they are singing a
love song to God, but what *I* hear in their
songs is a love song to the universe, whether
or not that universe has a God in it or not.

Same with my favorite singer/songwriter Bruce
Cockburn. Bruce is a Christian. About the time
of his marriage (in fact, during the ceremony
itself), he had a strong and powerful direct
experience of Christ, so that's always been a
factor in his work. Never a *blatant* or in-your-
face factor, like "I'm a Christian and you're
not," just more of a "This is the stuff that
inspires me and gets me off" kinda way. And
it gets *me* off, too. I hear or feel the same
level of inspiration in his songs that he feels
writing them, just not aimed in exactly the
same direction or with the same focus.

> Life is still a mystery and I am comfortable if this
> is all there is. Life is amazing enough on its own for me.

I submit as an example of a "scripture" that
can transcend the belief system of its author
the following Bruce Cockburn song, from his
most recent album. It's full of metaphors from
*life*, not Christianity. The reference to
"built on a Friday" is from Detroit, where no
one would dare buy a car that rolled off the
assembly line on that day of the week, because
it will break all the time and it can never be
fixed. The reference to the shaman is an actual
experience he had with a Native American medi-
cine man. The reference to the bottle of gaso-
ine reflects his travels in South America,
where people are fighting not for ideals per
se, but for their lives. But it all comes down
in the last verse to love, and love has no
religion.

You can't tell me there is no mystery
Mystery
Mystery
You can't tell me there is no mystery
It's everywhere I turn

Moon over junk yard where the snow lies bright
Snow lies bright
Snow lies bright
Moon over junk yard where the snow lies bright
Can set my heart to burn

Stood before the shaman, I saw star-strewn space
Star-strewn space
Star-strewn space
Stood before the shaman, I saw star strewn space
Behind the eye holes in his face

Infinity always gives me vertigo
Vertigo
Vertigo
Infinity always gives me vertigo
And fills me up with grace

I was built on a Friday and you can't fix me
You can't fix me
You can't fix me
I was built on a Friday and you can't fix me
Even so I've done okay

So grab that last bottle full of gasoline
Gasoline
Gasoline
Grab that last bottle full of gasoline
Light a toast to yesterday

And don't tell me there is no mystery
Mystery
Mystery
And don't tell me there is no mystery
It overflows my cup

This feast of beauty can intoxicate
Intoxicate
Intoxicate
This feast of beauty can intoxicate
Just like the finest wine

So all you stumblers who believe love rules
Believe love rules
Believe love rules
Come all you stumblers who believe love rules
Stand up and let it shine
Stand up and let it shine