Hey New,

> Good post Curtis. Actually great. I appreciate your POV.

Thanks.  It is really nice that you ask for my POV here.

> Several questions:
>
> Why atheism and not agnosticism?

In my understanding agnosticism runs a gambit from believing in God
but thinking he is unknowable, to what is practically an atheist.  So
agnosticism  might fit although I think atheism is more precise.  I
wrote about why the term "atheist" isn't completely satisfactory.  But
I have a pretty good idea of the specifics of how the world's
religious scriptures were written by men who created different God
ideas. I haven't seen anything in any scripture that would make me
think it was beyond the ability of men to create. So I don't share any
of the theistic views, I am a-theist.

That said, we still might find out there is a creator to the universe.
 I just don't think man has done so yet.  I think we need to know a
lot more about the mystical experiences we have induced with
meditation and their causes.  Humans love to take the content of their
compelling subjective experiences at face value. In particular, we
seem vulnerable to quickly believing the mystical experiences makes us
"special" and the language of religion and spiritual traditions
supports this elevated view of self. (even promoting it to "Self")  I
believe that this messes up a more humble approach to mystical
experiences that isn't value ridden with traditional interpretations
of their meaning.

 "I don't know" seems more compatible > with the latter.>

I feel at least as confident as about the Santa myth so far.

> In your POV:
>   1) Where does karma stand?

I don't believe in a mechanism that keeps track of actions and don't
even understand what kind of moral equivalents the karma theories I
came across are claiming.  It seems like a ruse to maintain people in
subservient positions by the ruling class.  In India, who made up and
maintained the rule, let me guess.  Oh I know, the one who are
mentioned as the highest caste in the system!  And it turns out that
challenging their authority will get you a harsh karmic payback.
Karmic theories may arise from our sense of justice.  For me, seeing
natural disasters as just random, rather than a pay back for previous
wrongs, seems more compassionate.  So the karma theory doesn't help
me.  If it were true I don't see how man could know the details.  It
seems far fetched to me that men know such things.

>   2) Can scriptures have a value in ethics, a la, the Jefferson Bible.

As part of our human history they have been instrumental in all
cultures in forming ethics, but we are starting to see where modern
times may have moved beyond some of the religious views, think stem
cell research and women's rights  I a fan of the Bible and have read
it thoughtfully a number of times.  I don't think it provideds good as
ethical guidance today.  I think the Greeks may have given us much
better tools to consider what kind of society we want to create
together, which is the fruit of ethics.

The Vedic scriptures seem great at laying out the many many variables
in making ethical decisions.  It doesn't seem to offer simple answers,
but provides fuel for discussion.  This discussion needs to take place
in an atmosphere of humility where no one stands up and says "I know
what God wants us to do".  This is killing out ability to refine our
ethics today.  Religion is a start of the ethical discussion, not the
end.  I am a fan of Jefferson but think he may have elevated the
importance of Jesus as an ethical teacher too high.  We can do better.
 And modern man has done much better when he can rise above the
standard laid out a long time ago.  Look at all the progress we have
made by departing from Biblical ethics, slavery, women's rights...

>    3) How do you feel about chicks who scream "Oh God! OH GOD!!" at
> the height of passion?

Too good to answer only once:

1.  Women are supposed to feel something when I am getting mine?
Fascinating, that explains why they have been running away after.

2. I am sympathetic with women who feel that my mojo must have a
supernatural origin.

3. Is that what they are saying?  Damn, I always assumed they were
calling out the name of their last boyfriend and kicked them out of bed.

4.  I have never heard this.  Do women say that before or after they
scream "Who are you, I'm gunna press charges"?

Thanks for the questions.  If you care to weigh in with your
perspective on all this I would love to read it.