Hey New, thanks for responding.  I have only one item:

It seems like a ruse to maintain people in
> subservient positions by the ruling class.

WhoooooAAA. Who said anything about this. Different defs of karma I
presume.

In India, who made up and

I said karma,not caste. Should I write slower? :)

> Karmic theories may arise from our sense of justice. For me, seeing
> natural disasters as just random, rather than a pay back for previous
> wrongs, seems more compassionate.

You were clear enough about karma.  I view karma theory and caste to
be linked historically and conceptually.  Since the same guys who
taught both to Indian society just happened to be in the highest
caste, and people were taught not to worry their pretty little heads
about being in a low caste because if they are good do-bees they will
come back in a higher caste next time, I think the ideas are linked.
Same with reincarnation.  Without it karma theory breaks down, so that
theory has to come with the pile to make it work. Caste and the karmic
repercussions for bucking the system are presented together in most
scriptures I have read that address the topics.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> >  I just don't think man has done so yet.  I think we need to know a
> > lot more about the mystical experiences we have induced with
> > meditation and their causes.  Humans love to take the content of their
> > compelling subjective experiences at face value. In particular, we
> > seem vulnerable to quickly believing the mystical experiences makes us
> > "special" and the language of religion and spiritual traditions
> > supports this elevated view of self. (even promoting it to "Self")  I
> > believe that this messes up a more humble approach to mystical
> > experiences that isn't value ridden with traditional interpretations
> > of their meaning.
> >
> I get it. And agree -- with requisite (minor) qualifications.
> (grandiose weasal words)
>
> >  "I don't know" seems more compatible > with the latter.>
> >
> > I feel at least as confident as about the Santa myth so far.
> >
> > > In your POV:
> > >   1) Where does karma stand?
> >
> > I don't believe in a mechanism that keeps track of actions and don't
> > even understand what kind of moral equivalents the karma theories I
> > came across are claiming.
>
> I do see action and reaction in physics and at least surface social
> stuff (smile and everyone smiles back, be very helpful and caring to
> EVERYONE -- and you get help and  caring  when you need it.) So I can
> extrapolate that to farther reaching things. With some significant
> probability of being wrong.
>
> And karma is foundational to me. It explains an elegant universe
> without an active God. (doesn't preclude passive, hidden Deist one)
>
> And Jyotish is the map of karma, it is said. I am not offering a
> proof, or even a belief in karma.But damn, it so so uncannily right on
> sometimes. I just  changed sub dashas (out of worst saturn period
> possible) and damn, if what has happened in the last month, hasn't
> been there in my chart for 50 years.
>
> It seems like a ruse to maintain people in
> > subservient positions by the ruling class.
>
> WhoooooAAA. Who said anything about this. Different defs of karma I
> presume.
>
> In India, who made up and
> > maintained the rule, let me guess.  Oh I know, the one who are
> > mentioned as the highest caste in the system!  And it turns out that
> > challenging their authority will get you a harsh karmic payback.
>
> I said karma,not caste. Should I write slower? :)
>
> > Karmic theories may arise from our sense of justice.  For me, seeing
> > natural disasters as just random, rather than a pay back for previous
> > wrongs, seems more compassionate.
>
> I see you never visted NO before Katrina. (Joke -- with some pebble of
>  truth perhaps). Collective Karma.  Bridge of  San Luis Rey. Not just
> an Indian concept.
>
> So the karma theory doesn't help
> > me.  If it were true I don't see how man could know the details.  It
> > seems far fetched to me that men know such things.
> >
> > >   2) Can scriptures have a value in ethics, a la, the Jefferson
Bible.