--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "biosoundbill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think that the advanced techniques in TM where additional
> syllables are added to the mantra are not as powerful as the basic
> TM technique.
>
> The reason I say this is because in the basic TM technique one is
> meditating twice daily with the purest, most intense form of a
> mantra.

I would disagree. The full dharani, the "chain" of mantra and it's bija is the
most profound
expression of mantra. One is the seed and one is the "tree". It is only then
that we can
differentiate and experience the different levels of the mantra (vyapini,
unmana, samana, etc.)
consciously and under will. Failing that we never completely transcend the mind
but instead
simply arrive at what appears like a thought-free state. But vrittis are still
present at this
rudimentary state. This thought-free state can be quite addictive and people
tend to get
stuck there because of this. It's also important that the initate has the
dhyana-vidhi of the
devata as that potentializes the ability to actualize the mantra-shakti and
communicate with
that energy as all-pervasive outside of meditation.