Comment below:

**

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I spent a month with David OJ studying the collected papers.  Some
> published research is better than others.  One critical context to
> evaluate about research is what conclusions are being drawn from
> the studies.  This is an area were even some good movement studies
> fall down IMO.  In other words, it is possible to do a good study on
> improvements on a  rod and frame test. It is another thing to
> extrapolate that this means that mediators have a more stable
internal
>  state of reference.
>
> Although I share your enthusiasm for the scientific method as a tool
> to expand knowledge, I don't forget that it is always humans using
> this tool.  It is never practiced in purity.  The TM studies are not
> all on one level of reliability, published or not.  David went into
> lot of detail about which tests were more rigorous than others.
> Getting published is only one aspect in  evaluating the credibility
of
> scientific research.
>

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <no_reply@>
> wrote:

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > >
> > > "I AM THE ONLY ONE on FFL that is that open minded on the
topic,"

> > > NO.
> >
> > So Curtis states that he is open to scientific research. Thank
God
> > someone here FFL is not an anti-science freak ...

**snip to end**

Thanks for the insider perspective, Curtis.  It seems to me that the
whole universe (particularly human endeavor) is fundamentally and
purely experimental in nature.  You do something and something else
happens; oftentimes it seems like there is a causal connection
between the two events and to the degree that you like or dislike the
second event you modify your behavior accordingly with the intention
of either repeating or avoiding a same or similar result.  The
modified behavior may or may not produce the result you anticipate
and you modify behavior again.

All subsequent behavior and experience branch out from there. We all
keep doing this throughout our lives and apparently that's the way
the universe goes about its business, too.  The experiment with
religion that we humans are so enthralled with just seems to have a
long data collection timeline compared to a human lifetime and it
seems to have to go through many generations of human experimenters
and many different iterations of form before enough data will have
been compiled before a significant portion of the population come to
a different conclusion regarding its ultimate value (even though a
lot of folks have come to a provisional decision regarding its worth
based on other people's recommendations).

Those of us who read and post at FFL, on the other hand, have all
been lucky vis-a-vis our experience with Maharishi and the TMO in
that we've had the opportunity to evaluate some of the results of
this religion experiment with individuals who have been represented
to be the fulfilled beneficiaries of the promise of religion
(Maharishi, Guru Dev, Jim, Rory, Dr. Pete, Tom, etc.). (And for
purposes of this post I take it as a given that the promise of
Maharishi's programs, including his meditation, is the fulfillment of
the standard promises of religion; not only his initial message with
the SRM but even at the peak of the scientific charts and the Merv
Griffin wave of initiations, that was spoken of openly and clearly;
and the current use of language re the will of God is also a
reiteration of that.)

It seems to boil down to one of two different metrics in evaluating
the worth of religion (including TM as either a component of one's
independent religious practice, or as the necessary component of the
quasi-Hindu TMO religion): either, (1) how it makes you feel on the
inside (including the body), or (2) how it makes you act on the
outside.

My own experience to date is that is makes me feel fine on the inside
and feel that I'm a better actor and a better person in the world at
large, as well.  However, it seems clear that some folks who claim
the the interior benefits don't act in the world in a way that I'd
recommend anyone emulate.  Consequently, I'd have to go with
goodness, compassion, peacefulness and charity as being in the long
run the better metric for the world at large.  I have clients whose
experiences on illicit drugs rival anything I've experienced in
meditation or after (and the compelling nature of those experiences
argue convincingly for their authenticity) but whose outward behavior
is a source of ultimate distress for themselves and the world around
them.  Good experiences but bad behavior.

Like many here who have taught and promoted TM in the past, I was
ready, willing and able to be less than candid or truthful about the
TMO or its programs if I felt that the ultimate result would be that
someone would learn meditation or continue meditation based on what I
told them.  I look back on that now and regret having bought into
that mindset.  That was an incorrect choice and bad behavior on my
part.  There are times when perfect candor may be inappropriate but
for the most part honesty and transparency is better, particularly in
promoting a program for the upliftment of society.  To the degree
Maharishi or anyone in the TMO has departed from that, then to that
degree I feel that they have devalued their stated purpose and have
failed.

Marek