> And what of Mararishi's oath to us?  You know, that promise all of us
> thought was made by him to be pure, honest, whole, wise, loving,
> expansive, simple, scientific, scholarly, traditional, ancient, and
> enlightened?

This is excellent Edg.  Promises go both ways in non abusive
relationships.  I think if we had been a bit older we could have seen
that he was just winging it all and not take it all so seriously.  But
youth wants absolutes and he served us a plate full!  I remember
Vincent Snell in Yugoslavia telling me that MMY tends to be "overly
optimistic", with a wry, knowing look.  I didn't get it then, but I do
now.  He wasn't a kid when he met MMY, so he had the salt shaker of
age to see MMY in more realistic terms.

> He broke his promises, all of them to some degree, to us long, long,
> decades ago, when money became the TMO's bottom line.

My new pet theory is that MMY was trying to re-create the grandeur
that he felt in Joitir Math with Guru Dev.  He was locked out of that
possibility by caste, so he created his own kingdom with golden hats
and the showy splendor of his youth.