--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> I was going to make a similar comment. I'm no medical expert,
> but I can't imagine a cardiologist telling anyone that exercise
> wouldn't benefit them, unless they were so ill that the slightest
> exertion might kill them.

False dichotomy. "The slightest exertion" doesn't
have to be enough to kill you for a cardiologist
to recommend against vigorous exercise (as opposed
to, say, hatha yoga and walking--do we know that
Purusha guys don't take walks?).

 I've
> seen people in their 90's who had gotten proper exercise all
> their lives and could still run, ski, etc.

As Bob (I think) pointed out, genetics plays a
significant role as well.

 Maharishi, who has
> been sedentary, has been bound to a wheelchair for several years.
> If non-exercise is part of his tradition, then the tradition is
> deficient.

That just doesn't follow, Rick. It's certainly a
possibility, but it ain't anything like the only
possibility.

For instance, reportedly he has diabetes, which
can cause ghastly foot ulcers, in some cases
despite adequate exercise and medication and diet.
It could be that his feet are too painful for him
to walk.

Yes, he's been sedentary, but he's also in his
90s, well beyond standard life expectancy, even
though his self-imposed work schedule has been
far more grueling for far longer than most people,
even those in excellent health, could tolerate.
Seems to me he's held up remarkably well under
the circumstances, exercise or no exercise.