--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> >
> > I guess if you're going to look at "God" as a "personal" deity
> > then your blog makes some sense.  But you're forgetting that
> > MMY and the Shankara tradition taught "God" as the impersonal.
>
> If you accept that "laws of nature" is a secular term
> for God, then you must accept that MMY was preaching a
> personal God because the terms "nature support" and
> "Maharishi effect" are implying intervention at a
> fundamental level.

That's the issue. Personal, schmersonal...that is
irrelevant. The relevant issue is the belief being
sold that there is a sentient basis to creation
that has the ability to 1) have a "will" or a desire
for how it "should" be working, and 2) has the pos-
sibility of "intervening" to affect creation, and
that thus can be "appealed to" via butt-bouncing
or yagyas.

Include either of those two attributes, and whether
you call your God "personal" or "impersonal," you
are still talking God.

> Consciousness as Unified Field,
> the "enlivenment" of which allegedly increases
> positivity in human affairs, is another term for God.
> Again, if it was impersonal we wouldn't be able to
> gain favour just from mental contact.

Agreed, although again for me "personal" or "imper-
sonal" is irrelevant. It's the interventionist
nature of the concept that makes it about a God
rather than about, say, an operating system.

I have *no problem* with an underlying unity to
the universe that works like an operating system.
It just works in the background to allow creation
to run itself, without having to be either aware
of creation or having the ability to interfere
with it. And for me, this operating system can be
reduced to two primary components -- karma plus
free will. The combination of those two forces
accounts for all phenomena in the known universe,
without the need for any kind of Godly sentience
or intervention. Since I'm an Occam's Razor kinda
guy, the simple explanation is the more likely
explanation. Any explanation that involves a
sentient or interventionist God is more complicated,
and thus less likely.

> > "Laws of Nature" is still a pretty good secular notion to
> > explain what many call "God" especially in abstract terms
> > rather than some being that micromanages your life. If you
> > don't believe in the laws of nature then turn on your
> > webcam so we can see you walk through that wall next
> > to you.  :)

While there may *be* inviolable "laws of nature,"
I would suggest that no human being on the planet
knows what they are. At best they have a guess at
what they are. And any scientist *or* philosopher
worth his salt would probably agree with me.

> The laws of nature aren't something we need to *believe*
> in. I can't walk through walls because of the repelling
> action of the nuclear forces that hold electrons away
> from the nucleus of atoms. Secular or not, I doubt there
> is anything we can do to change that. And unless any
> genuine sidhas can step forward.....

And if they did, their ability *to* walk through
a wall that appears solid does not "disprove the
laws of nature." It only disproves the puny ideas
of what those "laws" were that humans had before.

Not that long ago, the "laws of nature" that most
human beings in the Western world would agree were
sacrosanct and inviolable involved the sun orbiting
the earth. That this turned out not to be true did
not invalidate the concept that there may be some
rules that shape the nature of the universe, it
just revealed the poverty of human imagination in
trying to get a handle on what those rules are.