> I guess if you're going to look at "God" as a "personal" deity
then your
> blog makes some sense.  But you're forgetting that MMY and the
Shankara
> tradition taught "God" as the impersonal.  I always got a charge
out of
> reading the free books ISKON was handing out, especially their
Srimad
> Bhagavatam where Prabupad would go on a rant against the
impersonal and
> he, of course, was ranting against the competition of the time.  :)
>
> "Laws of Nature" is still a pretty good secular notion to explain
what
> many call "God" especially in abstract terms rather than some
being that
> micromanages your life.  If you don't believe in the laws of
nature then
> turn on your webcam so we can see you walk through that wall next
> you.  :)
>
> I was not raised in a religious family.  I only went to church to
get a
> scout badge and after that I was through with it.  To me, even at
that
> age it was pretty lame.  As a teenager I was a big fan of the
> existentialist movement (particularly reading a lot of Sarte) and
> considered myself an atheist.  I now think that becoming an
atheist is
> the last stage before one treads the true path of "God"
realization.
> Note I put "God" in quotes.  I think it was Bucky Fuller who gave
a talk
> (maybe with MMY) that "God" was concept and you could name that
concept
> whatever you want.  The three letter word tends to be a little
lacking
> though.
>
> Now, I "believe" or "experience" "God" as the totality of
everything
> that is, has ever been or will ever be.  I also like to think of
the
> analogy of "God" in terms of sound physics.

I enjoy saying the word in my mind and being aware on a vibrational
level the sum total of what the word is, and isn't-- Easy enough to
do, since words repeated about five times in succession lose their
literal meanings...

It's like a string on a
> guitar or bass.  "God" is the fundamental tone and the rest of the
> universe is the overtone series.   That explains the expansion and
> energy which is creation.  It also allows me to explain pre-
destiny
> which cannot be disproved any more than free will can.  Under this
> analogy we would be nothing more than a vibration whose destiny
was
> created when the "string" was plucked.  Everything you have
though, now
> think and will be thinking is an overtone of that.

I like this analogy a lot, though I would say the plucking of the
string, including overtones is our full potential. Whether or not we
realize it fully in this life or another remains a mystery.

> What one should be experiencing in meditation is the absolute
stillness
> from which all things spring.  If you have that experience then it
is
> pretty undeniable and a good platform to understand all of
creation and
> its logic.  To the religious, who believe there is a "Satan" then
I like