> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > I do not believe that enlightenment is life without
> > pain.
>
> It's not. In MMY's terms, it's life without
> being *overshadowed* by pain.
>
> You can actually experience more of it, more
> intensely and fully, if you aren't overshadowed
> by it.
>
> > Instead, maybe just maybe, you realize that there is no
> > love without pain and that pain is OK.
>
> And if you aren't overshadowed by it, you can
> experience more of it, more intensely, more
> fully, more authentically. If you aren't
> overshadowed by it, you don't have to deny it,
> anesthetize yourself against it, just to be able
> to carry on.

I sure would like to see some quotes from him on this issue.  My
impression always was that pain and suffering go away with meditation.
For example, MMY is said to have said: I don't think Christ ever
suffered or Christ could suffer.

Or if not meditation, using "vibration" technology to relieve pain and
suffering: http://www.vedicvibration.com/doctors.html  For example:
"Through a tender impulse of Vedic vibration, pain is transformed into
a feeling of pleasantness; abnormality is transformed into normal
physiological functioning; the inner intelligence of the body is
enlivened in order to revitalize its physiological expression."  I
think this vibration stuff is unsupported and is misleading those who
are in pain and suffering.  Not very empathetic to me.

There are plenty of publications which talk about the unbounded bliss
of life, free of suffering, where you live with perfect health.  But
maybe not so perfect. I did see a purported quote from him once that
said: "There is pain, but there is no suffering."   I think this might
be a bit too clever (if he in fact said this).   When I had relatives,
friends or patients who were dying, in pain and suffering, I suffered
as well.  I felt pain.  That is the nature of empathy.  And most I
know who are dying make a peace with it and there is a serenity with
the pain and suffering.  But there is still pain and suffering and
sometimes it overwhelms.

> <snip>
> > The greatest flaw of MMY appears to me to be his
> > lack of empathy.
>
> He spent his entire adult life attempting to show
> people how to live their lives in fullness without
> being overshadowed by its necessary pain, and he
> lacks empathy??

Yes, I stand by my statement.  If I have some time, I will discuss
this more later.  But folks, I sure would love to see some quotes from
him that illustrate empathy.  I sure would love to see some quotes
where he expresses sadness or expresses sympathy for the suffering of
others.